Business: Persons from countries other than ECOWAS (Economic Community of Western African States) are required to obtain a visa to enter Liberia.
Documents typically required:
- Passport valid at least six (6) months when applying for Visa
- Two (2) passport size photos.
- Copy of Airline ticket or itinerary. If in transit, Visa for ultimate destination. A return flight departing from Liberia is required.
- Processing fee
- Completed Application Form.
- Yellow Fever vaccination
- Letter assuming financial responsibility from the sponsoring company or organisation.
Duration: Up to 3 years
As in most other countries, the hiring of foreign nationals in Liberia is subject to the availability of qualified local candidates to perform the role. Foreign nationals are only permitted to work in Liberia if they have a local sponsor.
However, from February 2015, the Ministry of Labour has announced that it will not be issuing work permits for non-Liberians seeking employment for positions such as Accountants, Human Resource Managers and Administrative Managers.
A foreign company that wishes to employ foreign nationals must first set up its Liberian business entity. This Liberian entity is then required to apply for the relevant work permit for the employee before the employee commences work in Liberia.
1. Application for a residence permit from the Bureau of Immigration and Naturalisation
It is a pre-requisite that all foreign nationals intending to work in Liberia (remain the country for more than 90 days) hold a valid residence permit. Applicants are required to contact their respective Liberian embassies/consulates for information on the relevant procedure/documentation.
2. Submission of a formal letter of application
Companies must submit a formal letter of application to the Liberian Minister of Labour containing the following details:
- Name of Business/Institution where the applicant is seeking employment.
- Applicant’s Name, Position & Nationality
- Applicant’s Resident permit and passport #.
- Job description/Terms of reference
- Applicant’s contact number
3. Completion of Pre-Qualification Form
The applicant is required to complete and submit the Pre-Qualification Form together with:
- Two passport size photos
- Current CV
- Copy of resident permit payment receipt
- Copy of passport and resident permit
- Any legal document for the entity/institution such as; Business Registration/License, Certificate of incorporation or Ministry of Planning certificate (NGOs)
- A proof of job advertisement done by the entity for the post that is to be occupied by the applicant along with the list of Liberians who applied for that post; (corporations, partnerships, (etc.)
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs letter for companies/institutions with bilateral agreement with the Government of Liberia.
4. Screening by the Ministry of Labour
The Ministry of Labour will screen the application to certify that no qualified Liberians are available before his/her application can be approved. If approval is granted, the applicant will be provided with a billed form, which is valid for 48 hours.
The applicant must make payment for the work permit, together with the billed form and approval letter at the Ministry of Finance, LBDI Annex. Upon the payment of work permit fee, the applicant shall proceed with the original copy of the GOL Revenue payment receipt to the Division of Alien Registration to be recorded and filed for the work permit booklet. A copy of the receipt will be given the applicant for reference purpose.